Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I (HEART) Organizing

I've been on vacation for a month. One of those trips to help you get back to what is important to you, finding yourself etc, the usual cliches. What I've found out about my self is that I need structure. I need to organize my work, my thoughts, my life in general really.

It got me thinking. The most used tool this year for me was Twitter. Jobwise and socially it has completely turned my life around. But there isn't a lot of structure. So I have a suggestion for the social part of it. This is particularly useful in the Netherlands where we use Twitter a lot for lonely lunches, dinners and cups of coffee. But I'm sure it will be useful anywhere else as well.

To get a better overview of who is looking for company at any of these events why not use the almighty hashtag?

I suggest #areacode+event. So if I'm looking for somebody to drink coffee with in Amsterdam I simply post:
#020coffee Anybody up for coffee in De Pijp?

And the same goes for lunch, breakfast, drinks and dinner.
#020lunch
#020dinner
#020breakfast
#020drinks

It will make it a lot easier to find out who around you is looking to meet up.

7 comments:

gabemac said...

Love this idea! U my dear are brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Great idea... need to find how to make it work outside holland ;)

Damdam said...

I love that. You have to check my Boarding Project (http://www.boarding.fr). Concept: Just twitt #boarding followed by the 3 letter of your airportcode to check who's also boarding there! That easy. Then, my bot will send a reply with a link to a mobile page with the list of the users guys in the same airport.

Let's try : #boarding AMS :-)

Unknown said...

Awesome idea, if only this would be common use... Same goes for the boarding project!

Anonymous said...

I have the feeling that #area + #event would be more trackable... So for instance #020 #lunch

In this case, if something posts something you're not tracking, like - #020 #brunch - the chance is less likely that you'll miss it.

Or did I miss something in hashtags 101?

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

I agree with @Charles_Liebert - needs to be international; but its a great idea. @stowboyd suggested using / to prefix locations as part of his www.microsyntax.org project. Also so many people use mobiles, I dont even KNOW what my are code is - and in London, its too big.

/placename might work - simply because atleast its then interpretable on some level (combined with the general location from Twitter in their API feed) by software, so can be utilised in interesting ways, like matching up people automatically. also, seperating the location from the #tag means you can then filter/search specifically for #lunch #tea #dinner etc :-)

Clicky Web Analytics